[Zope-dev] Renamed the Zope package to Zope2 and including Zope 3 packages in Zope 2.8

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Feb 2 07:57:46 EST 2005

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Five has dependencies on zope.app, so to make Five use Zope 2.8 packages
> would require quite a bit of Zope 3 to be pulled in, or an awful lot of
> work to prevent it from being pulled in.

I think Zope 3 is at a point where, if there are volunteers, it would be
worthwhile to start working on getting things out of zope.app.  I have this
low-priority "bobo" project, which is about using Zope 3 without using the
app server.  In the little work I've done on this, it's become clear that
lots of things that are in zope.app should move out.

 > Presumably only a few packages
> will be pulled into Zope 2.8 in practice, which means that Five will
> have to worry about packages from Zope 2.8 and packages from Zope X3
> proper, and possible weird combinations and interactions. Not something
> I'm looking forward to.

Understood.  There are a few packages however, that Zope 2 can benefit
independent of five.  These packages are pretty stable so I'm reasonably
confident that this needed pose too great a hassel. At least I hope not.

Jim