[Zope-dev] QueueCatalog Tool Inadvertantly Triggers Indexing

Ken Wasetis kwasetis at sprinc.com
Fri Feb 18 13:07:59 EST 2005

I've recently installed QueueCalalog (with PloneQueueCatalog) and either I don't understand how it is intended to work (lacks documentation), or it isn't working the way it's intended to.

My objects, which are similar to the ATFile content type of Archetypes, have PDF or MS Word files attached and bog down Zope if indexing is done on the SearchableText index for these immediately, while users are logged in and doing work during the day.

When I configure QueueCatalog to select all of my indexes except SearchableText as ones that should update immediately, it seems to successfully queue a new first object I've created in Plone (and not convert and index the object by doing a portal_transform on its 'file' attachment attribute.

This is fine for the first object, but as soon as I attempt to create a second such object, the queue gets processed.

The way I understand queue processing is, there are two things that would trigger the processing of the queue:

1) A site manager logs into the ZMI, goes to the portal_catalog's Queue tab and clicks the 'Process' button.

2) The Process class of the QueueCatalog product is a thread and (by default) is hardcoded to sleep for 60 seconds at a time.  When it wakes up, it will process the queue.

With that in mind, I modified the Process.py to increase the interval fro 60 to 6000 seconds, but my queue still gets immediately processed upon the creation of a second object.

Is this a bug, or am I misusing or misunderstanding the tool's design?

Thanks in advance for any help - I couldn't find any good pointers on how to use the product.

Ken Wasetis
SPR Inc.
kwasetis at sprinc.com