[Zope-dev] More on [Removal of aq_acquire from guarded_getattr]

Stefan H. Holek stefan at epy.co.at
Mon Jan 24 18:30:50 EST 2005

The failing AccessControl tests can now be found on shh-aqtests-branch
in zope.org CVS.

Observations:

a) guarded_getattr checks object security of the acquiree if the
container denies access (at least that's my assessment).

b) The tests pass when either

   - running Zope < 2.7.3, or

   - declaring object security on the acquiree via
declareObjectProtected(foo)

c) Unauthorized errors pop up in CMF-based applications, typically when
trying to access a portal tool from a Python Script. E.g. the tests for
<http://zope.org/Collectors/CMF/318> fail on 1.4 branch because
'portal_membership' can not be acquired.

d) Current Zope objects are ill-prepared for these checks as many do
not bother to declare object security in the first place (User Folder,
Mail Host, 50% of CMF tools, ...).

e) Plone and Archetypes exponentially increase the likelihood of
encountering these errors. I have seen several variations in our
customer projects, all reliably fixed by b)

f) I think this is serious. It certainly is a problem for Plone.

g)
<http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-checkins/2004-August/028152.html>

h) If g) really is THE fix for <http://zope.org/Collectors/CMF/259> all
existing Zope software must be reviewed, IMO.

i) Unit tests + VerboseSecurity = useful.

Please advise,
Stefan

--
The time has come to start talking about whether the emperor is as well
dressed as we are supposed to think he is.               /Pete McBreen/