[Zope-dev] Zope 2.9 goals

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Fri Jun 17 09:29:09 EDT 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
[snip]
> I'll just remind everybody that, starting with Zope 2.9 and Zope 3.2,
> we are switching to time based, rather than feature-based releases.
> We will make feature releases of Zope 2 and Zope 3 every 6 months,
> starting this December.  I suggest a manditory feature freeze
> at the beginning of the previous month, so November 1 for the next
> releases.

Great!

>  > I have some ideas:
>
>> * newer version of Five included (whatever version is current then)
>>
>> * Zope 3.1 included
>
> Actually, Zope 3.2.  Zope 3.2 and 2.9 will be released together,
> There is no need for Zope 2 to be a release behind in it's Zope 3
> components.

If the time based release planning works for Zope 3, fine. I just want
to avoid a situation where Zope 2.9 has to wait a long time for a Zope
3.2 release. I'd rather have a release out with Zope 3.1 before then.

This may actually indicate we need a Zope 2.9 release in the nearer
future which just focuses on including Zope 3.1, and planning for a Zope
2.10 release with 3.2 later. This would break time-releasedness for Zope
2.9, in that we could have it in, say, 3 months, though. I need to think
this through.

>> * Python 2.4 support
>>
>> I think these could all be accomplished without getting too ambitious.

> Yes.  I think this is a good starting point.  I hope there will be
> more, but, since we are doing time based release from now on, we'll
> have what we have.

Agreed, having what we have, and releasing it, should be our motto.

[snip]
>> What do people think?
>
> I think it is good to plan work, but, *we will not be bound by a specific
> set of features*. We are switching to time-based releases for Zope 2 and
> Zope 3.

Exactly.

> Further, we will coordinate the releases.  Essentially, *Zope*
> is switching to a new release schedule. Zope will be released every 6
> months and the releases will be in two parts, a Zope 2 part that includes the
> current Zope 3 and a Zope 3 part.

I am worried about the interdependency of these releases causing delays,
but I am also sure we can avoid this with good planning.

Regards,

Martijn