[Zope-dev] Re: Windows Builds

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 21:16:02 EDT 2005

[Tim Peters]
>> Anyone else run on Windows routinely who's eager for glory?  As
>> Christian learned the hard way, it doesn't really work if running on
>> Windows is an occasional afterthought in your daily life.

[Andy McKay]
> Mark Hammond and I will take a look at this and see if we can help.

Cool!  Last I saw, Andreas was planning to release Zope 2.7.7b1 this
Sunday (3 July), if you want some practice <wink>.

I'm pretty sure Mark already understands the Zope Windows-installer
build process about as well as anyone.  If not, I'm happy to help.
For someone who runs on Windows routinely, the machinery usually works
smoothly.  It can be a bear when it doesn't.

One predictable problem is that Zope's setup.py gets out of date over
time, because people run Zope tests from CVS or SVN checkouts "in
place", and the repackaging done by setup.py for an installation never
gets tested that way.  It's broken then for all platforms, but
typically whoever builds the WIndows installer is the first to
_notice_ it.  For a micro release (like 2.7.6 -> 2.7.7) a problem
there is unlikely.