[Zope-dev] Extending Zope's ZConfig Schema in a Product?

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 23:58:08 EDT 2005

On 6/30/05, Sidnei da Silva <sidnei at enfoldsystems.com> wrote:
> Gosh, that looks too nice to be true. I will try that out tomorrow and
> write out a how-to on zope.org if it works out.

It is too good to be true; sorry.

Well, it is true, but it's not what you're looking for.  You can't use
it to extend the schema for Zope.  You can use it to add new concrete
implementations for things that are allowed; the original use-case was
to allow things like new kinds of storage for the database.

I've spent a little time thinking about this issue, and have come up
with at least one way to deal with it (and %import would be used, in
part), but I've never been completely happy with the approaches.

Since using an additional configuration file is possible (and quite
easy in Zope 2, since the location of the instance is so easy to
discern, I'm not convinced it's actually important to support
embedding the configuration for 3rd-party components into zope.conf.
If you want something you can use now, using a product-specific
configuration file, with an appropriate schema, will do quite well.
It also doesn't require hacking (or monkey-patching) Zope or ZConfig,
so it would be easy to deploy in a variety of situations.

  -Fred

Zope Corporation