[Zope-dev] Parrot

Andrew Langmead alangmead at boston.com
Mon Mar 21 10:54:11 EST 2005

On Mar 18, 2005, at 9:18 PM, Alan Milligan wrote:

> I know a year or so ago, someone received a pie in the face at a
> conference because Parrot still wasn't as fast as the native Python
> interpreter, but maybe this too has changed with this release.

I wouldn't say that Dan got his pie because it wasn't fast enough. It
was more that it wasn't complete enough. At the time, Parrot could only
run four out of the seven tests that Dan and Guido agreed on.

Of the four tests that ran, Parrot was faster at three, and twice as
slow on the fourth.

<http://www.sidhe.org/~dan/blog/archives/000371.html>

(I guess if you consider "didn't run" as "took an infinitely long time
to run, Parrot averaged as being slower.)

> I'm very interested to know if anyone is investigating Parrot.

In  <http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2004-August/152678.html> Tim
Peters said "Zope plays in Python's dark corners like few other apps
dare" and describes some bugs in Python 2.3.3 that were fixed in 2.3.4
because the bug was found when trying to run Zope. I haven't tried the
latest version of Parrot, but I'd think that Zope would be the last
thing that will run successfully.