[Zope-dev] Re: Clarification re: Zope X3.1, 2.8

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Wed Mar 30 17:52:21 EST 2005

Florian Schulze wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:12:51 -0500, Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> [Tres]
>>
>>>  - ZODBGuru uses 'svn rm' to zap the current ZODB on the trunk,
>>>    replacing it with an 'svn:external' link to your ZODB 3.4 tag; and
>>>    then tests it (could be an 'svn cp', but I don't see any benefit to
>>>    maintaining a Zope-specific fork).
>>

>> My problem.  It will certainly be done via 9 "svn switch"s on my local
>> machine first.  As explained elsewhere, there are several other
>> possible sources of integration problems here, and I can't know about
>> those before actually trying it.  It's possible, e.g., that I'll need
>> to change ZODB 3.4 to worm around them, or switch ZODB to using a
>> different ZConfig, etc.  Can't predict here.
>
> [snip]
>
>>>  - ReleaseMaker uses 'svn cp' to create the release tag for Zope 2.8a2
>>>    (whatever it is being called).
>>

>> Check.
>

> When you use svn:external, it will be copied as is to the tag, so when
> the external files change, the files in the tag change as well. So a svn
> cp would be better I guess.

I don't think so.  The point is that each released version of Zope
(already) depends on a specific, released version of ZODB;  we don't
*want* to be copying ZODB into the Zope tree in the repository, because
that implicitly creates a fork (i.e., people check into the ZODB copy
inside the Zope tree, which is Evil (TM).)

When you use 'svn:externals', the referenced package itself is *not*
part of the containing checkout;  it is managed separately by the svn
client (sort of like ESI and page fragments).

Tim points out that there are a number of these external dependencies,
including ZConfig and zdaemon, which are not directly part of ZODB
either:  it depends on them in the same way that Zope depends on ZODB.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com