[Zope-dev] Re: Zope 2.8 on hold

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sun May 8 12:51:44 EDT 2005

[Mark Hammond]
> For me, WinBuilders *seemed* to work fine - until I realized that it was
> reusing files from my previous 2.7 build.  After nuking my 'build'
> directory, I get this error:
>
> touch "/cygdrive/e/src/zope-packages/build/lib/python/Zope/Startup/run.py"
> touch: creating `/cygdrive/e/src/zope-packages/build/lib/python/Zope/Startup/run.py': No such file or directory
> make: *** [/cygdrive/e/src/zope-packages/build/lib/python/Zope/Startup/run.py] Error 1
>
> It appears the path should now be lib/python/Zope2/Startup/run.py.

Yes, that was discussed here before.  There are 3 instances of

$(BUILD_DIR)/lib/python/Zope/Startup/run.py

in the current WinBuilders HEAD zope.mk, and they all need
s/Zope/Zope2/ to use WinBuilders for Zope trunk.

Various version numbers are out of date too.  For example, current
HEAD zope.mk still says:

ZOPEVERSION=2.7.5-final

despite that 2.7.6 was released (and the released 2.7.6 final is
broken on Windows:  the shipped 2.7.6 contains your Windows service
improvements, but still ships "the old" version of pywin32, and still
in the broken "flat" way).

Given those minor changes, WinBuilders worked fine for me applied to Zope trunk.

> There was some talk about moving WinBuilders to under the main Zope
> tree - that would solve a few problems related to the build - including
> the "wrong pywin32 version one" (as it would have been much more
> difficult to not update WinBuilders!)

As above, that part got blown in Zope 2.7.6 anyway.  I'll suggest that
what the Windows Zope release process needs is someone to drive it who
actually uses Zope on Windows <0.1 wink>.  Play, pay, or forget it.

> Also, while I am here :)  I mailed my CVS contributor form a couple of
> weeks ago.  What is the next step in the process?

To whom did you mail it?  I believe Jim (Fulton) handles those, so I'm
copying him.  Jim, did we get Mark's form?