[Zope-dev] Re: SVN: Zope/trunk/ Merge philikon-zope32-integration branch. Basically, this branch entails:

yuppie y.2005- at wcm-solutions.de
Thu Nov 3 07:40:20 EST 2005

Hi Philipp!

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>> That part seems to be work in progress. I needed some time and manual
>> changes to set up an in-place instance for a fresh sandbox.
>
> What changes are those? A fresh Zope trunk checkout works for me. Here's
> what I did:
>
>   $ svn co svn+ssh://philikon@svn.zope.org/repos/main/Zope/trunk Zope-trunk
>   $ cd Zope-trunk
>   $ ./configure

This fails if Python 2.4.2 is installed, but this worked:

   $ ./configure --with-python=/usr/bin/python2.4

[I see this is meanwhile fixed :)]

>   $ make

works and returns this message:

   Zope built. Next, do 'make install' (or 'make instance'
   to run a Zope instance directly from the build directory).

following those instructions:

   $ make instance
   printf "Zope 2.8.0-b1" >\
             "/Zope-trunk/lib/python/version.txt"
   "/usr/bin/python2.4" "/Zope-trunk/setup.py"  \
      build_ext -i \
      install --skip-build --home="/Zope-trunk"
   running build_ext
   running build_headers
   running install
   running install_lib
   warning: install_lib: 'build/lib.linux-i686-2.4' does not exist
     -- no Python modules to install
   running install_headers
   [...]
   running install_scripts
   error: cannot copy tree 'build/scripts-2.4': not a directory
   make: *** [install] Error 1

Same problems as reported by the buildbot.

Renaming build/temp.linux-i686-2.4 to build/lib.linux-i686-2.4 and
adding build/scripts-2.4 by hand made 'make instance' run.

> That worked for me (though I usually don't do the configure; make dance,
> but just do an in-place build with python setup.py build -i; see also
> below).

Using

   $ python2.4 setup.py build_ext -i

'works', but doesn't create a complete instance. Did you try to start
bin/zopectl? I don't even have a bin directory.

>> And I didn't manage to install Zope trunk to a different location.
>> That seems to be completely screwed up.
>
> "Not supported anymore" is the right wording here. Basically, the
> "configure; make; make install" dance is going to go away for an SVN
> checkout. A simple Makefile as we have it in Zope 3 that simply provides
> shortcuts for in-place builds will probably replace it.
>
> We're not even sure if the configure dance makes sense for a release
> tarball. The only benefit of the ./configure script is that it
> (presumably) chooses the right Python for you, which isn't always what
> you want, anyways. At least I do ./configure --with-python=... more than
> half of the times. So I could just call python setup.py install with
> whatever Python I want in the first place.

Thanks for clarifying.

Cheers,

	Yuppie