Get rid of configure/make? (was Re: [Zope-dev] Re: SVN: Zope/trunk/ Merge philikon-zope32-integration branch. Basically, this branch entails:)

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 12:29:18 EST 2005

On 11/5/05, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> It's main benefit is that it leverages a familiar pattern, but
> I'm not convinced that it's worth it. Also, as tools like rpm and
> deb become more widely used, I'm not sure how familar the configure/make
> dance is.  Other than Python and Zope, I never use configure/make anymore.

I think more and more people never have to build from source.  There's
little I build from source these days, and I'm generally happy to
build myself.  I think the only things I build are things I'm actually
contributing to myself, whether it be for work or volunteering on open
source projects.  I don't even build my own TeX tools any more.  :-)

Also, configure/make is only familiar in the Unix world; most
installations appearantly are on Windows boxes using the binary
installer.  The importance of the familiar dance just isn't very
significant any more.

  -Fred

"Society attacks early, when the individual is helpless." --B.F. Skinner