Get rid of configure/make? (was Re: [Zope-dev] Re: SVN: Zope/trunk/ Merge philikon-zope32-integration branch. Basically, this branch entails:)

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Sat Nov 5 21:41:54 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 12:14 -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
> Lennart Regebro wrote:
> > On 11/4/05, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Having said that, I don't really like the configure/make farce myself.
> >

> > Farce?
>
> We aren't running the real configure.

If you mean autotools, that's right, but only because we don't really
need it.  Compiling Python has already done all the dirty work for us,
so configure's main job is to find a suitable Python, which it does.
Configure also checks the Python it finds for large file support and
Python's zlib module, which is required by some bits of Zope but not in
every system-shipped Python.  These things might seem silly to
developers but they've saved a lot of new users from pain.  "configure"
also allows you to install multiple times from a "pristine" source
directory without changing the source directory, which I (and others,
because they've told me they do) make use of.

> We aren't really using make.

Actually we are.  We create a makefile, which is run by make when you
type "make" (no different than if autotools had created the makefile).

> We're just using make as a wrapper around setup.py.

The makefile is a wrapper around setup.py as well as mkzopeinstance.  It
is also capable of creating release tarballs.

-1 on removing configure / make / make install dance unless there is
some reason to do so other than not being "pythonic".

- C