[Zope-dev] Timing the opening of network ports

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Sat Nov 12 09:25:02 EST 2005

Hi,

a while ago I realized that I liked the initial opening of network ports
immediately on server start.

After working on a busy site with ZEO in the summer I wished that this
feature would be configurable. There are different scenarios that ask
for opening the network ports early or late:

Situation 1:

You are a developer and restart your server frequently. You want the
ports to be open as soon as possible, even if the site takes a while to
load, because your browser accepts a reload immediately. If you use
tabbed browsing this also notifies you when the server is ready and you
can read /. while waiting ...

Situation 2:

You are have a site with only a single application server (w/ or w/o
ZEO) and have to restart your server. You want to minimize proxy errors
(via Apache) and connection losses experienced by people visiting your
site/using your application. So opening the ports early is good here.

Situation 3:

You are have a site that uses a ZEO cluster. You have to restart the
application servers while people are using the site. As you have a load
balancer, there are always some application servers around that can
answer the queries. Now you want to open the network ports as late as
possible. In the ideal case, when the complete server is ready. This
avoids that people's connections go onto a still booting server and have
to wait for several seconds which results in a even more loaded queue on
the booting server ...

Does this sound reasonable to make the behaviour of opening the ports
configurable? Does anybody have an idea how hard this would be to do?

Cheers,
Christian

--
gocept gmbh & co. kg - schalaunische str. 6 - 06366 koethen - germany
www.gocept.com - ct at gocept.com - phone +49 3496 30 99 112 -