[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] RFC: Reunite Zope 2 and Zope 3 in the source code repository

Benji York benji at zope.com
Thu Nov 24 00:57:21 EST 2005

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Really, *how* does it mess up the trunk? Half of the packages of Zope
> 2 are also in Zope 3 because they're either ZODB or Zope3-related
> anyway. Another quarter of the packages will go away within one year

Perhaps that would be a more suitable time to consider such a proposal.

> not too long ago the Zope 3 repository was strongly advertised as a
> place for people to put their Zope3-related software so that it would
> be kept up to speed with refactorings and such. If that offer was for
> non-Zope-core software, it should especially be good for Zope itself.

I think the time has come for this to change.  With a maturing code base
and with systems like BuildBot we should be able to assure cross project
testing (between Zope 2, Zope 3, and non-core projects).

> Note however that I'm looking to get more Zope 3 contributors with
> this action.

We do need to be careful that any such transition is handled correctly
or we risk flooding Z3 with people (justifiably) unfamiliar with the
project while simultaneously disenfranchising existing developers.
--
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer