[Zope-dev] RE: [Zope3-dev] RFC: Reunite Zope 2 and Zope 3 in the sourcecoderepository

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Nov 24 06:34:32 EST 2005

Hi there,

Roger Ineichen wrote:
[snip]
> I really think we should stop draw a vision where we will get a
> on cklick migration for custom projects. Then this is what people
> normaly expectt if we speak about a migration path.

What vision is this? I don't think anybody has been proposing this
vision. I'm not sure how any such visions relate to this discussion anyway.

> There will be a lot of work to migrate such a application.
> And I'm not sure if it's the best way to migrate via Five.

> What'a about the idea to write a new application pure based on Zope3
> and then migrate the existing data in the ZODB? I guess this will be
> much easier for many projects then migrate via existing hooks and
> reflect every future refactoring over the next years.

One question: Who will pay for all this work? Given lots and lots of
free programmers that will do all this development, this can happen. I
don't see these resources, though. :)

So, we usually don't have that luxury. People have real projects in
production and we want to start using Zope 3. One main route open to us
maintaining existing applications is one of gradual evolution.

Of course the other alternative is to forget about evolving towards Zope
3 at all and Zope 2 just going its own way, but I don't think anybody
wants that, right?

Regards,

Martijn