[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] RFC: Reunite Zope 2 and Zope 3 in the source code repository

Jean-Marc Orliaguet jmo at ita.chalmers.se
Thu Nov 24 09:00:58 EST 2005

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> I think you're mixing the notions of "community" and of "community of
>> interests".
>>
>> I don't think that the goal is to merge communities, the goal is to
>> make good software and not have different entities fight on framework
>> technologies. It is to stir common *interests* in the technology.
>>
>> On the technical level CMF is used by many, but still different
>> communities. Five is a community project used by different
>> communities. This also shows that technology merge does not entail
>> community merge, because everyone comes with different goals,
>> backgrounds, and this is sound.
>>
>> Python is a community project, not everyone who uses python is in the
>> same community (reads the same mailing-lists, go to the same
>> conferences, develop with zope or twisted, ) even though there is a
>> strong community of interests.
>>
>> I think that you want technology merge in the first place, and not
>> force people into communities through technology.
>

> How do you know what I want?

That's an expression. I don't mean "you" in particular. It's like saying
"people" want to, "one" wants to, "you want to" ...

> I indeed do not understand your point. I'm not sure you understand
> mine, as you seem to be partially telling me things I already
> understand, and partially arguing with things that aren't my position.
>
> Regards,
>
> Martijn

I don't think it's very important; it was just a point of view that I
was expressing for the sake of the analysis trying to separate community
issues from technological issues (trying to not put everything in the
same bag). But sure, if every technology is to be considered as a social
project with the goal to change people's mind, then there is no reason
to make any difference between the two. I think you're giving to the
word "technology" more meaning than I do.

Regards
/JM