[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] RFC: Reunite Zope 2 and Zope 3 in the source code repository

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Nov 24 09:17:02 EST 2005

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Sounds crazy, I know. But I'm serious. Looking for your comments at:
> http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/ReuniteZope2AndZope3InTheSourceCodeRepository

I love this idea!  But I think it's still a bit too early to pursue it.

In the next release cycle, I want to, finally, revisit what Zope 3 itself
should be, especially the idea of "core".  A couple of years ago, in the
Zope 3 community, we debated what should be in "the core" of Zope 3. At the
time. I fealt that that such a debate would be too much of a distraction.

Now (well, after the December release :), I think it's time to revisit
what the core of Zope 3 is and how we manage the repository.  There has been
a trend to manage important components separately and link them in.  I see this
trend continuing.  The advent of eggs and continuing maturation of zpkg and
testing technology will accelerate this trend, IMO.

I think that in the future, there may be a much smaller core Zope 3 project
that represents the "object filing system" (zope.ofs? :). This core project
may be a client of a collection of much smaller projects, such as zope.interface,
zope.component. etc..  If that vision comes to pass, Zope 2 will no longer contain
the Zope 3 core, but they will both share a large number of components which neither
of them "contain". Obviously,  this would radically change the nature of this debate.

On the topic of leveraging Zope 2 developers for Zope 3, I'd first like to
leverage more Zope 2 developers for Zope 2. :)  I'd like to see people focussing
more effort on the Zope 3 in Zope 2 work and narrow the gap between Zope 2 and
Zope 3.  I'm thrilled with the effort you and others have put in and am
very hopeful that the Goldegg initiative will focus more effort here, as it
already has. Some projects that I'd really like to see worked on soon:

- Use a common publisher framework

- Use a common security framework

- Share common ZPT implementations

I'd love to participate in some sprints on these.

After these things are done, and after we've had a chance to revisit the Zope 3
software organization, would be a good time to revisit how the Zope application
server efforts should be managed.

I really want to reunite the Zope 2 and Zope 3 comunities.  I'd be happy if,
by the end of 2006 we could retire the Zope 3 lists and merge the discussions
back into the main zope lists.

Jim

P.S. Wow, what a huge number of messages in a day. :)