[Zope-dev] Folderish or SimpleItem object types for structural content

Martijn Jacobs martijn at fourdigits.nl
Tue Nov 29 16:09:59 EST 2005

Hello Dieter.

>>...For every object that can contain subobjects
>>you could derive it from 'Folder' (or Object Manager). But when you
>>derive all these product types from 'Folder' you end up with ALOT of
>>objects in your database.
>>

>It that a problem? It might become one once you get millions of objects...
>
>Usually, I would expect that most objects come from you leaves and
>not from the classification structure...

That will be true, but I was wondering where to draw the line,  for
example with perfomance issues. All the objects will be in a ZCatalog,
to allow searching for example. But one 'ObjectManager' step less in the
choice what to do with the products results in much less objects in the
catalog. The estimation about the amount of objects, with only the leave
nodes as 'SimpleItem' objects will be 30.000. I never had so many
objects in a ZODB, that's why I'm asking this, but as your answer
suggests it's still the preferred way.

Thanks for the comments!

--
Martijn Jacobs