[Zope-dev] Removing whrandom in Zope 2.9 (was Re: New testrunner on the Zope 2 trunk.)

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Thu Oct 27 14:24:19 EDT 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Tres Seaver wrote:
>

>> Just to note that the tests aren't running cleanly on Stefan Holek's
>> box, either (but they fail differently):
>>
>>  http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-tests/2005-October/003421.html
>>
>>  http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-tests/2005-October/003422.html
>

> These are not failures.  They are also not complete output.
>
> I'm hoping that Stefan will look at this.
>
> We also plan to add zope 2 to the buildbot config.
>
> It would be nice is someone would address the deprecation
> warning by getting rid of the whrandom reference. :)
>
> Jim

FWIW:

$ pwd
/home/tseaver/projects/Zope-CVS/Zope-2_8-branch
$ find . -name "*.py" | grep -v "build-base" | xargs grep -l whrandom
./lib/python/AccessControl/DTML.py
./lib/python/Products/PythonScripts/help/PythonScript.py
./lib/python/Products/ZCatalog/regressiontests/regressionCatalog.py
./lib/python/Products/ZCatalog/regressiontests/loadmail.py
./lib/python/RestrictedPython/Utilities.py
./lib/python/DocumentTemplate/DT_Util.py
./lib/python/zope/security/examples/sandbox.py
./lib/python/zope/security/examples/sandbox_security.py

The 'regressiontest' cases have been ripped out on the trunk already.
For 2.8, we can't rip out the 'AccessControl/DTML.py' version without
breaking third-party code which uses it in DTML.  Here is what it does:

  import SecurityManagement, string, math, whrandom, random
  whrandom.__allow_access_to_unprotected_subobjects__=1
  random.__allow_access_to_unprotected_subobjects__=1

Likewise RestrictedPython/Utilities.py:

  import string, math, random, whrandom
  utility_builtins = {}
  utility_builtins['random'] = random
  utility_builtins['whrandom'] = whrandom

The Zope3 stuff could likely be replaced (e.g. for a 3.0.2 release), and
should be gone for 2.9 / 3.2.

Hmm, I see that RestrictedPython/Utilities.py on the Z3 trunk aliases
'random' as 'whrandom' -- could we use that strategy for 2.8 etc.?

We could remove them for 2.9, I guess, and just make people fix their
applications.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 202-558-7113          tseaver at palladion.com