[Zope-dev] Re: RFC: product initialization cleanup and improvements

yuppie y.2005- at wcm-solutions.de
Thu Oct 27 16:25:38 EDT 2005

Hi Tres!

Tres Seaver wrote:
> yuppie wrote:
>
>> 1.) 'action' key:
>> -----------------
>>
>> I'd like to give empty 'action' values a special meaning: The meta_type
>> is not visible in the add drop down in the ZMI.
>>
>> The five:registerClass directive allows to set empty 'action' values.
>>
>> This would resolve http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1885 .
>>
>> Filtering out meta_types with empty 'action' values is a two line change
>> in main.dtml. I'd like to make that change also on the 2.8 branch to
>> enable that feature for 2.8.5 with Five 1.2.
>
> +1.

Ouch! I thought everything is in place for that feature, but an
important piece of the puzzle is missing: The fix for checkPermission.

http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1774

_verifyObjectPaste uses a hack to work around that checkPermission
issue, making 'action' required.

Tres: You did have a look at issue #1774 a while ago. What do you think:
How much work would it be to resolve this issue? I'm not a C programmer
so I can't do it myself...

>> 2.) 'interfaces' key:
>> ---------------------
>>
>> Does currently only contain oldstyle interfaces. The code in
>> OFS.ObjectManager that uses that key works also with z3 interfaces. I'd
>> like to add z3 interfaces to the value of that key. That would e.g.
>> allow to set only new style interfaces on catalog index classes.
>
> I'd just as soon rip old-style interfaces out by the roots.  +1 for
> allowing new-style ones in 2.8.x;  -1 for continuing to support
> old-style ones on the trunk (anybody clever enough to use the old ones
> "back in the day" is clever enough, and should be motivated enough, to
> convert).

My goal is to make it possible to run products on Zope 2.9 without
implementing any old-style interfaces. I think that's doable.

But I can't see a need to break all products that use old-style interfaces.

Cheers,

	Yuppie