[Zope-dev] Mountpoints

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Oct 28 09:19:14 EDT 2005

Chris McDonough wrote:

>> Jim redid the way Zope trunk stitches in Zope3 since you last looked
>> at this, and that can create some mechanical problems (of the kinds
>> you're seeing, in fact).  The svn docs probably won't help.
>> Suggestion (which is repetition of what I suggested before this
>> happened, but we'll gracefully let that pass ;-)):
>>
>> Check out a fresh, new copy of Zope trunk.
>>
>> Merge your branch into that.
>

> Thank you!
>
> Eagds.  I *thought* I had done just that.  I had even printed out  your
> previous handholding email about this before starting.  But no.   I did
> not.  Instead, to my horror, I realized had *copied* a trunk  working
> copy (of an unknown vintage, although up-to-date according to  "svn
> status" after an svn up) and then I'd merged the branch into that.
>
> So about a minute ago, I followed your instructions literally,  figuring
> that I'd be able to sheepishly move on afterwards, but  unfortunately it
> comes out the same.  Literally, here are the commands:
>
> $ svn co svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/Zope/trunk
> $ cd trunk
> $ svn merge -r 38624:HEAD svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/Zope/
> branches/zodb-blobs-branch
> $ svn up
>
> ... which comes out with ....

> Fetching external item into 'lib/python/zope/thread'
> External at revision 39684.
>

> Fetching external item into 'doc/ZEO'
> A  doc/ZEO/cache.txt
> A  doc/ZEO/ZopeREADME.txt
> A  doc/ZEO/README.txt
> A  doc/ZEO/trace.txt
> A  doc/ZEO/howto.txt
> Updated external to revision 39684.
>

> Fetching external item into 'lib/python/zope'
> svn: Working copy 'lib/python/zope' locked
> svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for
> details)
>
> I am reasonably confident that drinking just one more Yuengling will
> solve this problem in one way or another.

svn:externals suck. A lot.  As Tim suggested, you could throw away
this check out and start over.  A simpler thing you could do is to
remove the zope directory and do an svn up.  Since we switched to
using externals, we see lots of things like this. You just learn to delete
the directories in question.

Jim