[Zope-dev] Maintenance cycles for Zope 2.X branches

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Mon Oct 31 12:09:58 EST 2005

Hi,

because of the fact that we are switching to a time-based release cycle for
Zope 2 and Zope 3. I would like to discuss how deal with the maintenance of
older branches. My idea is to support branches for one year from now on.
Zope 2.7 should be maintained until the end of this year, Zope 2.8 until
the release of Zope 2.10 in June 2006, Zope 2.9 until the release of Zope
2.11 in December 2006. In case of severe bugs and security problems we can
think of making releases for deprecated Zope versions. We could extend the
maintenance period for releases if there are some volunteers to take over
the responsibility for older branches (isn't there a maintainer for the
Linux 2.0 kernel? :-)) From the maintenance point of view it just a
nightmare (and it takes a lot of time) to have an overview over more than
two or three branches.

What do you think?
Andreas