[Zope-dev] Re: Zope Test Summaries 2006-04-05

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Fri Apr 7 10:04:36 EDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 06:04:11PM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
> +1 for getting rid of *anything* in Testing which does something as
> Utterly Evil (tm) as scribbling on 'os.environ'.
>
> Any tests which break on that account should be fixed, not covered over.
>  You don't risk breaking production code, only tests, and those *need*
> to be fixed, even when running against the "stable" tree (I would even
> think backporting to 2.8 was worthwhile, just for the  testing bugs it
> would expose).

I agree with the sentiment, but thinking of it from a user's p.o.v.
I would be mighty annoyed if I upgraded from 2.9.2 and 2.9.3 and
found that tests in package foo were broken by tests in package bar
only because of changes in package qux.  Test pollution bugs can be
real maddening time-wasters.

Upgrading to 2.10 is another story ;-)

I may try eradicating os.environ usage from Testing on my trunk
sandbox and see what else breaks...

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com