[Zope-dev] Re: 64-bit BTrees

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Apr 18 03:34:38 EDT 2006

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> in memory. Dieter estimates 20% to 35% slowdown for the C algorithms
> (whatever that means), Tim seems to think it won't have such a big
> effect. I guess we'll only know after some benchmarks.

Can we please not make any definite decisions until this issue has been
resolved, some of us do actually care about performance ;-)

Yes, ideally, I'd like to see just IIBTree's but only if there are not
perfomance implications. I think BTrees sit low enough in the stack that
it's perfectly justifiable to have both an I BTree and an L BTree.

If having two isn't acceptable, then why do we have an I and O BTree's,
not to mention the special ones used for in-memory ZODB indexes? Surely
we should just have one BTree class?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk