[Zope-dev] Traversal issue which affects Five

Alec Mitchell apm13 at columbia.edu
Sun Aug 20 14:57:25 EDT 2006

On 4/17/06, Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de> wrote:
> In our local Zope version, I implemented a solution that is
> (in my opinion) superior:
>
>   Define an exception "UseTraversalDefault" that can be
>   used by "__bobo_traverse__" to tell the traversal process
>   (either URL traversal in the publisher or restricted/unrestricted/CMF
>   traversal) to use the default lookup.
>
> One big advantage is that e.g.
> "Archetypes.BaseObject.BaseObject.__bobo_traverse__" no longer
> need this horrible dance to decide whether it should or must
> not create a "NullResource".

OK, I'm bringing an old thread back to life to propose implementing
this change for Zope 2.10.  It would be quite nice to get rid of this
"horrible dance" in the next version of Archetypes, and the change
would generally allow people to make simpler __bobo_traverse__ methods
that don't have to reimplement the traversal machinery themselves,
especially since the traversal machinery is a bit in flux these days.
Of course, if the plan is to make __bobo_traverse__ obsolete in the
near future (provided reasonable alternatives exist), then making it
nicer shouldn't really be too much of a priority.  Thoughts?

Alec