[Zope-dev] Help! Need to extract files out of Data.fs!

Kris Adcock geek at danceswithferrets.org
Mon Aug 28 15:57:17 EDT 2006

Hiya,

My company has been using a Zope server to store some reference material, but
it has grown beyond belief, and I need to extract all the collected files
(about 1.3 terabytes!) from the Data.fs into distinct files onto a different
server.

Unfortunately, I've run into some problems. Firstly, the FTP transfer process
seems to be extremely slow, and if I try and transfer too large or deep a
folder structure in one go then things grind to a halt.

To beat this I've been carefully recreating the folder structure manually,
and copying things in easier-to-digest chunks. Unfortunately, because I was a
bit rushed over the weekend I have accidentally deleted about 130,000 files!

I've tried going through the "Undo" procedure, but the idea of manually
ticking 130,000 boxes (in pages of 20) and undoing them fills me with dread.
So ...

Please please /please/ .... does anyone happen to have the file format for
the Data.fs file so that I could write a C program to extract and recreate
the files and folders to another server? Or has anyone written such a program
already? If so, I'll happily have your children if you can help me out! As it
stands, I'm going to have to break it to the librarian (the poor man who has
been collating all the reference material for the last six months) that I've
lost half of his work, and blaming it on the poor FTP client in Windows seems
a bit lame!

If it helps: I'm running Zope 2.9.2 on a SuSE Linux box. I have full access
to the Linux box ... and a large hammer, if I need it! :(

Help!

Many thanks in advance,

Kris (considering giving up this computing job and going to live in a cave
somewhere).