[Zope-dev] Next step on Blobs?

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Sun Dec 17 06:36:08 EST 2006

Hi,

Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> - What's the next step on supporting ZODB Blobs?

Start using it! :)

> - Is there a branch of Zope that actually uses it?

Nope, not yet. I don't have any plans for Zope 2, but I'll be working on
the Zope 3 side.

I guess that we need to decide whether we want to release the current
ZODB trunk together with the next releases of Zope (2 and 3). In this
case we'll need a release branch for ZODB 3.8 and switch Zope to it.

From my perspective, we could:

- Have blobs available and let people pick them up.

  This option has the lowest potention for interrupting anybody's
  operation of existing applications/servers.

- Make the existing File implementation use blobs

  This would be good so people see how to use them and get blobs widely
  exposed. Ideally, the Zope beta releases would uncover problems with
  existing applications/installations.

- Make new "Big File" implementations based on blobs

  This would also allow people to see how to use blobs, but is a bit
  more conservative approach as blobs are a new feature and we don't
  want to destroy existing databases.

Additionally, we could change the existing skeletons for zope.conf and
zeo.conf to include a blob storage in their examples.

Christian