[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Two visions

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Tue Feb 28 11:16:16 EST 2006

On Feb 28, 2006, at 9:30 AM, Benji York wrote:

> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> So, my proposal would be to tone down the vision to what we have
>> already: a co-evolving Zope 3 and Zope 2, with Zope 2 following
>> and Zope 3 leading (or Zope 2 driving Zope 3 forward, however you
>> want to see it). No renaming necessary. No change of course
>> necessary. Zope 2 can stick to Zope 2 features as long as
>> necessary so there's no rush to replicate Zope 2 functionality in
>> Zope 3 any time soon. At the same time, Zope 2 requirements can
>> drive the evolution of Zope 3.
>
> An emphatic +1.

Heh, in retrospect, my "I guess we should go with plan 2" post comes
off a bit like Marc Antony's speech in Julius Caesar:

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him;
The evil that men do lives after them,
The good is oft interréd with their bones,
So let it be with Caesar.

...Then Antony goes on to praise Caesar. :-)

I'm also +1 on Martijn's approach: let's keep Zope 3 around, and stay
the course.

Also,

On Feb 28, 2006, at 10:06 AM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> I think focusing on one app server and a dedicated set of libraries
> would be a good alternative to two concurring app servers.

...if the single app server is based on acquisition,
__bobo_traverse__ and friends, objectValues and friends, ZCatalog,
and so on, I'd rather have two, thanks: at least I can have one I like.

Gary