[Zope-dev] [Zope 2.10] ZPT going Unicode

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Thu Jan 5 07:39:56 EST 2006

--On 5. Januar 2006 12:47:20 +0100 Andreas Jung <lists at andreas-jung.com>
wrote:

> As you might know I worked on the integration of the Zope 3 ZPT
> implementation for Zope 2.10. Before commiting the changes to the trunk I
> would like discuss my approach for Zope 2.10

I forgot to mention a major point: compatibility.

When a ZPT is internally stored a unicode string then content returned by
methods called through the ZPT will be implicitly  converted to unicode.
This will definitely raise UnicodeDecodeErrors. So how to deal with this
issue?

 - allowing only unicode textual content when calling macros, PyScript etc.

 - converting non-unicode to unicode inside the TAL code using some
   encoding. The encoding could be specified as property of the called
   method (function properties) or object.

We really _need_ to discuss this issue early to minimize side effects
and to be able to provide the best compatibility possible.

-aj