[Zope-dev] [Zope 2.10] ZPT going Unicode

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Fri Jan 6 04:13:19 EST 2006

--On 5. Januar 2006 21:12:08 +0100 Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de> >>
>> - allowing only unicode textual content when calling macros, PyScript
>> etc.
>
> definitely not.

I know that this is a hard requirement but it is an implicit requirement in
Zope 3.

>> - converting non-unicode to unicode inside the TAL code using some
>>   encoding. The encoding could be specified as property of the called
>>   method (function properties) or object.
>
> Using a site encoding would probably be the best way (as done by e.g.
> Plone and Archetypes).
>
> Most sites use in fact a fixed encoding most of the time.
> At the places where a different encoding is used, it can be
> employed explicitely to convert to unicode.

A site encoding as default makes sense however there are situations when
the encoding of a string from is different. E.g. when you deal with
XMLHTTPRequest the browser expects an utf8 fragment which might conflict
with an iso-8859-15 site-encoding. So there should be some mechanism to
specify the encoding. For PyScript one could introduce a property to
specify the encoding and methods of products I can imagine using function
properties..and this is possibly something some must be solved on the TAL
level.

> As pointed out in private email ("charset negociation will not work"),
> the response charset has a significant impact on the charset
> used in form data sent back to the server.
> This may pose severe problems when the response charset is
> not the same as the site encoding (for textual form data).

This issue is connected to the ongoing/planned project to use the Z3
publisher in Zope 2.10. There will be a sprint at PyCon next month afaik...

-aj