[Zope-dev] Re: SVN: Zope/branches/2.9/ Move to ZODB 3.6 final.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jan 6 10:49:29 EST 2006

Tim Peters wrote:
> [Florent Guillaume]
>
>>Why not use the tag you just made?
>>   ZODB svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/ZODB/tags/3.6.0/src/ZODB
>>etc.
>

> Ask Jim ;-)

I don't like using tags in externals.  Each time an external is changed to a tag,
svn creates .OLD directories and gets a new version.  It's a real hassle IMO.

I especialy don't like this on the trunk, or on a branch.

I don't really mind using a tag for a release.  For example, I wouldn't
necessarily mind if the Zope 3.2.0 release itself was based on a tag of ZODB.
But I don't think it's all that important either.

What I especially don't like is forcing a release and tag of something just because
we want to use it somewhere else.  For example, I would hate to create a tag
in zope.testing just so Zope could use a later revision.

>>(Hi have a vague feeling this may have been discussed before but I'm not
>>sure ;)).
>

> I'm not sure it's been coherently discussed on a mailing list:
>
> - While a tag is conceptually read-only, sometimes people do make changes
>   on tags.  You can't cheat (or get screwed by someone else cheating) with
>   -r NNNNN, though,
>
> - Updates to a different revision on the same SVN path typically go much faster,
>   replacing only the files that have changed.  When the SVN path changes (as
>   was true when stitching in ZODB by tag), the entire project is
> refetched.  When
>   moving from ZODB 3.6.0b6 to 3.6.0 final, that's the difference between getting
>   all the ZODB code again, or just getting the 3 (or so) files that
> changed (more
>   files than that _did_ change in ZODB 3.6 final, but Zope doesn't
> include them --
>   the others are part of the standalone ZODB release).
>
> - When the SVN path changes, people who leave old .pyc (or other not-checked-in)
>   files behind end up with OLD.n directories created by SVN too.
>
> Overall, I like tags better myself:
>
> - They're self-documenting.

Yes if they are real tags.  I don't think adds much documentation is created soley
so that something else can have a tag in an external.

Jim