[Zope-dev] Deprecation process issues

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Mon Jan 16 13:28:43 EST 2006

--On 16. Januar 2006 13:08:31 -0500 Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> I'll just note that:
>
> - I agree with your point about deprecation warnings.  IOW
>    we should not check in new deprecation warnings on the trunk
>    that cause warnings to be output when running the standard tests.
>    We should correct any code that needs to be updated first.
>    (Personally, I add the deprecation warning, making sure that I
>    get the expected warnings, and then I make the warnings go away.)

But you can only correct code when you have a reasonable replacement. In
case we should use my current ZPT replacement based on the Z3
implementation we would deprecate lib/python/TALES and have deprecation
warnings for two major releases. But we can't replace lib/python/TALES with
the Z3 tal|tales
packages since we can expect incompatibilities which are not acceptable for
backward compatibility issues. One could write fascades for such modules
(Philipp already wrote one for STX) but I doubt that they will be 100%
compatible. I would prefer to keep such modules in place and to just remove
them after the deprecation period.

> Of course, we do want to move away from zLOG, as we want to leverage
> the standard logging framework.

Has there ever been the need/demand for additional log levels in Z3?

-aj