[Zope-dev] Re: ZPT backward compatibility

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Mon Jan 16 13:55:03 EST 2006

--On 16. Januar 2006 13:36:32 -0500 Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

> There are two separate issues here:
>
> 1. ZPT backward compatibility.
>
>     Are we introdcuting ZPT backward incompatibilities? (Aside from module
>     paths)?

My original implementation  would introduce incompatibilities definitely.
However I've just checked in a relaxed implementation that defaults to the
current behaviour. Enforcing unicode is now an optinal feature which might
be used for application that are interested to use unicode for ZPTs
starting Zope 2.10.

> If so, then I think we need to have a proposal. (Maybe you
> already
>     made one and I wasn't paying attention.  I don't see one at:
>     http://www.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/FrontPage.

Well, I brought this issue up on zope-dev to discuss this issue directly.
but with almost zero feedback :-) Also another related posting to zope-zpt
got _zero_ anwers. Also other changes happened are part of a (pending)
proposal written by Philipp.

> 2. If we decide to change something, even if it's backward incompatible,
>     we need to change Zope itself to do things the new way before we
> expect
>     other people to and before we introduce the deprecation warning.

Nothing else happened so far (except the issue with OFS.content_types in
Zope 2.9. I just forgot to change the code for the 2.9 final release. There
was something to hinder me from doing that for 2.9b2).

-aj