[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] December release post-mortem

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Thu Jan 19 08:36:26 EST 2006

On Thursday 19 January 2006 07:46, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> > Oh, this will make development so much more tedious. Let's say
> > zope.testbrowser is an egg and I discover a bug in zope.textbrowser while
> > doing some other Zope 3 development, I have to check out
> > zope.testbrowser, fix the bug, check it in, download the new egg and hope
> > it fixed my Zope 3 problem. Honestly this is far too much and I will at
> > most make a bug report.
>
> Ah, exactly the risk I pointed out too, I should've read the thread
> first before I repeated you. :)

Yeah, I am glad someone else backs my concern. I agreed with everything you
said in your previous mail.

> > I have seen you take a similar approach to zope.testing and I found that
> > painful just by watching the checkins. I feel like an old record, but
> > please let's keep the development process as simple as possible. I rather
> > make some concessions to the packaging and dependency system than
> > spending more time developing.
>
> What if we can create in SVN the equivalent of what would be an egg +
> its dependencies for checkout, using externals? I know Jim said he
> doesn't want to use externals, but I'm thinking in that direction. You'd
> have one SVN directory for each egg, which then contains the right
> externals to pull in all the dependencies. Hopefully the process of
> creating such an SVN directory could be automated from egg dependency
> metadata.

That would work for me. If it resolves the risk and is still pretty automated,
SVN checkout or even calling make, then it is fine by me. The others have
also pointed out the egg development mode.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter