[Zope-dev] Re: 2.9.4? reStructuredText support?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Jul 9 09:00:46 EDT 2006

On Jul 8, 2006, at 3:34 PM, Tres Seaver wrote:

> The monkeypatch in the hotfix *might* be defeated that way, sure.  The
> updated version of docutils I checked in will *not*, because it
> disables
> file inclusion inside the source of the dangerous handlers.

> Another possible fix would be to patch docutils to make the
> configuration directive for file inclusion disabled by default;  that
> would allow a trusted module to enable them for a given parse, without
> exposing the feature for untrusted code.

I like this.

I would feel better, if we choose to maintain a hacked docutils,
to rename it so that it remains possible for an add-on to use a non-
hacked
version.

Also, if we maintain a hacked version, of course, we are taking extra
responsibility  on ourselves.

>> You seem to be the only one championing TTW reST?  Are you
>> unwilling to
>> write the tests necessary to keep it?  If so, it's hard to have any
>> sympathy for your desire to keep it.
>
> There are way too many uses of TTW documents out there "live" to just
> rip it out, I think.

Unless we have much better maintenance of this feature than we've had
in the past, then we'll have no choice.  Hopefully this will change.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org