[Zope-dev] Re: 2.9.4? reStructuredText support?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Jul 9 10:10:53 EDT 2006

On Jul 9, 2006, at 9:43 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 8, 2006, at 3:40 PM, Tres Seaver wrote:
>>> I'll note that tests wouldn't have helped here in the absence of
>>> a more
>>> careful security review of docutils:  none of us was aware of the
>>> 'raw'
>>> directive as an attack vector for file inclusion until you
>>> mentioned it
>>> the other day.
>>
>> Except that, as you discovered, it was *not* an attack vector.
>> setting
>> file_insertion_enabled to False disables file insertion via the raw
>> directive too.
>> The real problem was that you could still use the include
>> directive to
>> include files via DTML and Plone.  We didn't have a test to
>> demonstrate
>> that you couldn't use file insertion from DTML. And, obviously, the
>> author of the Plone feature didn't have tests either.
>>
>> I agree that tests are not enough.  The person who brought this
>> issue up
>> at EuroPython had a good point that whenever we use 3rd-party
>> code, we
>> need to consider it's security implications.  We didn't even read the
>> documentation for reST when we incorporated this feature.
>
> I think we picked up the feature (file inclusion) unnoticed in an
> upgrade (but could be wrong).

I dunno. If this is so, why didn't the person who incorporated the
new version check for new features that might be harmful?

That doesn't change the fact that when we found out about the threat
last fall, we didn't check all of the places in Zope where we were
using reST.  You might say that this was because the person who did
the hot fix didn't know about all of the places we were using reST.
But that just illustrates that our current approach of "everyone is
responsible
for everything" or, cynically, "no one is responsible for anything"
isn't working.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org