[Zope-dev] Time-based releases a good idea?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Jun 15 04:17:06 EDT 2006

Andreas Jung wrote:
>> For me, the fact that Zope 2.9.3 still emits
>> deprecation warnings on a fresh install (zLOG...) is a pretty bad sign.
>
> Deprecation warning is only annoying but not a bad sign. Deprecations
> are not a functional problem.

That sends a pretty bad message. It's not really acceptable for a stable
(ie: non-beta) point release to emit deprecation warnings. It's a sign
that time-based releases are forcing releases that aren't ready to
become "production releases" :-(

> right...I did not think that we deprecated and removed something without
> having a reasonable replacement...or did we?

I think the timeframes feel to short. If we really must have time based
releases (and I'm really starting to feel like they're a bad idea...)
then 9 months or a year would be better between new feature releases.

Personally, I find non-time-based releases a much nicer prospect: you
only need to move to the next major version when it's ready and because
it contains big new features you really want.

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk