[Zope-dev] Re: characters allowed in object IDs

yuppie y.2006_ at wcm-solutions.de
Mon Mar 13 04:07:34 EST 2006

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> yuppie wrote at 2006-3-10 20:20 +0100:
>>> To support WebDAV as widely as possible, I would prefer to
>>> get rid of all id restrictions. I do not like to see
>>> new restrictions emerging...
>> You just don't like it or do you know a better alternative?
>>
>> We need a way to make sure that object IDs can't mask browser views and
>> resources. The current solution in Zope 3 is to reserve names starting
>> with '+' and '@' for resources and views.
>
> "_" is already disallowed at the beginning of an id.
> Could you use it to mark views/ressources?

It's more easy to customize that stuff in Zope 3 than in Zope 2, but I
doubt the default names used in Zope 3 will be changed. And I don't
think it would be a good idea to introduce different naming conventions
in Zope 2.

>> Compared to Zope 2.8.1 and earlier this is no new restriction.
>
> In order to support WebDAV as widely as possible, I
> have removed almost all id restrictions quite some time ago.
> I hope that this will happen in the official Zope as well.
> The current state of affairs is not really justified.

To reach that goal more fundamental changes are necessary. While the
subject of this thread is more general, I just want to fix a bug. And I
doubt the fix I proposed will make the WebDAV support much worse.

Cheers, Yuppie