XML export/import is cool! (Was Re: [Zope-dev] Deprecating XML export/import?)

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Fri Mar 24 12:40:35 EST 2006

--On 24. März 2006 18:09:36 +0100 Yoshinori Okuji <yo at nexedi.com> wrote:

>> > Is that any more true than for lots of other things?
>>
>> Right, but for duplicate functionality that is not widely used and that I
>> consider buggy it is legitimate to propose the deprecation. But as
>> usually I am open to good arguments :-)
>
> We have been using XML export/import with ERP5[1] in many production
> systems  for a long time. Only this feature allows us to understand
> changes among  different versions in a human readable format, and even to
> edit the contents  by ordinary text editors. Without this feature, it is
> nearly impossible to  work on large systems in a distributed way. XML
> export/import is so valuable  to make a bridge between TTW development
> and distributed development with the  technology Business Template[2,3].

As I said, I am open to arguments and this convinces that the XML
export/import is useful for some ppl and should stay. I am not dogmatic on
such issues but such a discussion help to wake people but a bit....

> To make the feature more convenient, we have locally developed some
> monkey  patches[4,5] to Zope so that:
>
> - the output is more stable (i.e. the order of tags and the reference
> numbers  are more stable) to make "diff" usable for human
>
> - unicode objects work fine, assuming that data should be encoded in UTF-8
>
> We would be happy to submit our patches, if you think they are generally
> useful.

Of course we do appreciate any kind of patches as long they make sense
and have reasonable test to document the intended behavior. In general
patches are always welcome :-)

Andreas