[Zope-dev] I agree that ZClasses should stay. I will volunteer

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Fri Mar 24 13:32:04 EST 2006

--On 24. März 2006 10:00:46 -0800 Christopher Lozinski
<lozinski at freerecruiting.com> wrote:

> I am interested in maintaining them, documenting them, and upgrading them.

Cool. I think a good starting point would be to update

<http://www.plope.com/Books/2_7Edition/CustomZopeObjects.stx>

> I have been through the code a number of times, and if someone would
> spend 15 minutes explaining the high level design decisions, I could
> probably keep them up to date.  Why do they have multiple properties on a
> property sheet, instead of having a list of independent data types?

Ask Jim :-)

> I am also very interested in versions, and maintaining versions.

I think versions are history and have gone in Zope 2.8 or even Zope 2.7.

> Versionning and ZClasses make the fastest single user development
> environment I have ever seen in my life.  If your company can afford file
> based development, great, but some of us live on the income from our web
> sites, and really want to develop fast.

Fast is only one point of successful software development. How to you meet
the goals extensibility &  maintenance with ZClasses or do you write only
write-once-throw-away apps?

> And I object to the statement that "most people with solid backgrounds".
> I would prefer if you said that:  "In certain circumstances ZClasses
> makes sense, in other circumstances, file based development makes better
> sense. In some cases Plone is better, in some cases Zope is better, in
> some cases Ruby on Rails is better, in some cases Zope3 is better".
> Different situations require different choices.

This brings us back to the old discussion where we want to go with Zope in
the future and what our target audience for Zope should/will be. I have
some clear thought on that but that's only one opinion among others.

Andreas