[Zope-dev] Re: Windows Installer Nice-to-have

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Nov 13 10:19:33 EST 2006

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>> I don't know how easy this is to do, but one thing that would be
>> _really_ nice would be to use an existing compatible python install
>> rather than Zope splatting it's own in regardless.
>
> -1
>
> That's what Zope 3 does (it's a standard distutils installer). It makes
> it hard to install several Zope 3 versions at the same time. Or perhaps
> that's just because it install itself into site-packages?

Yeah, putting Zope in site-packages is just plain dumb.

But I think having our own weird python binary install, and only doing
something weird on Windows, is also dumb.

> Anyway, I would rather see the Zope installer to be self-contained wrt
> Python.

Why?

> In fact, I also wish that the Zope 2 and 3 installers were the
> same so that we'd only have to maintain and support one installation
> scheme.

Yeah, definitely agreed here...

> I don't particularly care about the paths. I think the
> politically correct destination is Program Files,

Actually, I thought I'd debunked this myth. Apparently not, so here goes
again...

None of microsoft's own server apps are stupid enough to put themselves
in Program Files, so lets NOT do that :-)

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk