[Zope-dev] Re: [z3-five] RFC: The future of Products.Five

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Oct 30 20:56:39 EST 2006

Andreas Jung wrote:
> What are our benefits from a Z2 Eggification. Eggification is basically
> about packaging and distribution of components with little dependencies
> in order to re-use them in other contexts. However most components of
> Zope 2 are heavily dependent on others.

Yes, that's true. But eggs don't necessarily have to have few
dependencies ;). Eggs just have well-defined dependencies. And like Whit
said, there might be a desire to have certain Zope 2 components have a
faster life cycle than others, e.g. ZopeTestCase in Whit's case.

> Or are we talking about using Zope 3
> eggs within Zope 2 as part of the Zope 2 distribution process?

That too. As Zope 3.4 will hopefully be embracing eggs for its packaging
story, it would be a shame if we wouldn't get that story somehow in Zope
2.11 at the same time.