[Zope-dev] Re: I am starting to hate Zope/Plone development and its bl**dy lack of refresh.

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Tue Sep 5 09:39:14 EDT 2006

Max M wrote:

> I am not sure what is causing the problems. I am mostly a developer of
> end user tools. Not a core Zope/Plone developer. And I am not really
> interested in becoming one either. There must be a niche for developers
> like me that focus on end users.

Well ok. I have researched a bit more. All the speedup suggestions gave
at maximum 5-10 seconds. Not nearly enough. (Didn't try to buy a new
computer though. Will do that next week ;-)

I also tried to run Zope as a zeo client from a usb flash disk.

As expected the initial compilation to byte code was sloooow. I then
expected it to run fast after that. It didn't!
*clever* configuration clearly wasn't clever enough for me.

So I made a site with a standard Zope tool:

     class simple_tool(UniqueObject, PropertyManager,
                            SimpleItem.SimpleItem, ActionProviderBase):

And I added a simple Plone skin.

Now refresh worked like a charm. Both when changing the code in the tool
and the page templates in the skin.

So the problem only exists for me in Archetype based products. Anytime I
do a change in any AT content type I need to restart the site.

Can anybody confirm this behavior?

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/