[Zope-dev] Re: In Defense of ZClasses

Christopher Lozinski lozinski at freerecruiting.com
Thu Sep 28 10:34:01 EDT 2006

Philipp von weitershausen wrote:

 >For these use cases it is not necessary to use a complex machinery
like ZClasses. The objects we're talking >about here could be very very
dull, to the point where we don't need something like a dynamically
constructed >class.

I appreciate all your comments.   It helps me better understand what I
am dong.    In fact I do dynamically build my ZClasses on the fly on the
production server.  When I build a new job board, a whole bunch of stuff
gets automagically done.   I have code writing code.  Then the users
create specific instances of ZClasses.

I love the idea that Zope 3 includes schema information.  I love the
idea of building Zope 3 schemas through the web.   But Legacy code and
data has a powerful gravitational pull.   I have a working application,
it is very little work to make the upgrades I need to make.  It is a
huge amount of work to migrate it to Zope 3.

If I built a new application, it would be in Zope 3.  For the existing
stuff I am happy enough with Zope 2.  It is so much better than PHP!

In terms of motivations, I am happy enough with Zope 2.7*  I do not
really understand the new upgrades, or what the changes are, or what the
benefits are.   With all due respect, I would prefer stability in my
platform rather than evolution.

At some point I will come up with a limitation of Zope 2.7*, I will need
to upgrade, ZClasses will not be working, and I will then do something.

In the meantime my attention is much more focussed on how to manage my
employees better using my application.

Thanks for all the advice.   I expect you will hear back from me when
ZClasses are next discussed on this mailing list.

Regards
Chrsi