[Zope-dev] Re: In Defense of ZClasses

Christopher Lozinski lozinski at freerecruiting.com
Thu Sep 28 10:54:13 EDT 2006

Jim Fulton asked

> Chris, have you tried ArchGenXML?

I did do a project in Archetypes, in Plone.  If I recall correctly,
Archetypes requires CMF.  And that is way too much code to add to my
application.  My workflow requirements are trivial.  I  think that
Archetypes is quite brilliant at defining a schema.  But it also
includes the definition of the user interface in the data schema.  I
much prefer to use Formulator to define the forms, and Archetypes to
define the data schema.

Since I was not quite happy with Archetypes, I saw no point to move up
to ArchGenXML.

Actually what I have done in my internal code is to swipe the ideas from
Archetypes, and automagically create the ZCatalogs, and ZClasses and
Formulator forms.   That way the forms can evolve away from the
underlying classes.  With these tools I can put up a new customized job
board in very little time.   And I do not have to carry around the whole
infrastructure from CMF.

So I would prefer to be working in Zope 3.  But I am stuck with my
legacy code, and pretty happy with it.  I do some things which
absolutely require the dynamicism of ZClasses.   And when I get a reason
to upgrade my zope server to a version that does not support ZClasses,
then I will be motivated to do something about it.

Chris