[Zope-dev] Future of ZClasses

Jonathan dev101 at magma.ca
Thu Sep 28 15:11:17 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dieter Maurer" <dieter at handshake.de>
To: "Jonathan" <dev101 at magma.ca>
Cc: <zope-dev at zope.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 2:49 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope-dev] Future of ZClasses

> Jonathan wrote at 2006-9-27 12:42 -0400:
>>I found a thread (from March 2006) discussing the future of zclasses, but
>>i could not determine if a 'final' decision had been made.
>>
>>According to Changes.txt for Zope 2.10.0:
>>
>>"ZClasses are deprecated and should no longer be used. In addition any
>>code related to the ZClasses (re)distribution mechanism is removed."
>>
>>Does this mean that any application which incorporates zclasses will break
>>if upgraded to zope 2.10.x?
>
> I do not think so.
>
> Jim invested considerable time to make ZClasses working for Zope 2.8.
>
> Future modififications will probably not break ZClasses severely.
>
> Also the thread that ZClass (re)distribution code will be removed
> need not worry you too much. Fortunately, Zope is open source
> and you can simply combine the new release with pieces of an older
> release to retain features essential to you.
>
> This way, the power of overly eager release managers (and other
> removal friendly Zope developers) is limited :-)
>

> We have a large ZClass based application. And I will keep it
> working.
>
> However, our current strategy is to skip more and
> more Zope releases (we are still at Zope 2.8.1) because
> the features newly introduced in the newer Zope releases
> are not worth the upgrade efforts.
> Currently, we plan our next upgrade to Zope 2.11 (to make
> use of "eggification").
> Therefore, I cannot promiss to fix potential ZClass problems
> in Zope 2.10 in a timely manner.
>
> If eggification comes with Zope 2.11 (otherwise, we may delay our
> upgrade until Zope 2.12), then ZClasses will work again for this
> release.

For internal applications I would rather leave the ZClasses in place and try
to fix whatever breaks when zope is upgraded, however the application that
caused my initial question is for an external client (with no in-house zope
expertise of their own) and they are not at all pleased with the idea of
having to 'fix things' everytime they update their zope version.

In this particular instance, I am going to have to 'bite-the-bullet' and
remove all traces of ZClasses, so that they can upgrade to future versions
of zope without fear.  On the plus side, they will end up with a more
stable/robust application which, hopefully, will last for years to come!

Jonathan