[Zope-dev] Re: Future of ZClasses

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Sep 28 20:23:13 EDT 2006

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Also the thread that ZClass (re)distribution code will be removed
> need not worry you too much. Fortunately, Zope is open source
> and you can simply combine the new release with pieces of an older
> release to retain features essential to you.

I see no problem in making the "ZClasses" a separate svn.zope.org
project, for example. That way they're not hindering Zope 2 core
releases but could still be maintained (e.g. by volunteers like
apparently yourself, Dieter :)) and shipped as an optional egg, for example.

I don't see ZClasses as anything particular evil or good, just having
them languish in the Zope 2 core puts a burden on all those who don't
understand them and don't have the bandwidth to support them. So it's
not about being "overly eager" regarding removal, it's about risk
management for future releases. Moving ZClasses to a separate project
reduces the risk of the Zope 2 core. Like you said, even you can't
promise to keep ZClasses working for every Zope release...

> We have a large ZClass based application. And I will keep it
> working.

Great!