[Zope-dev] The problem with ZClasses is a symptom of two problems with Zope 2

Christopher Lozinski lozinski at freerecruiting.com
Tue Apr 17 11:32:25 EDT 2007

Why are there such problems with ZClasses, when they were written by
intelligent people?

I think I now know the answer to that.

I am pretty sure that the permissions mechanism makes ZClasses have
propertysheets, so that access to variables can share a permission.

I am pretty sure that the Products structure makes ZClasses have their
create methods at the same level as the ZClass, rather  than  1 level
below the Z Class in a  class methods folder.

So what do I have to do to fix ZClasses?

What I am thinking of doing is taking the newest release of Zope 2, and
tossing out permissions, and tossing out the Products piece, and then
putting in place what I need to do fast through the web development.  I
will put in place a simpler permissions system.

I will miss Formulator and Localizer, because they are tied in with the
existing permissions mechanisms.  But they should migrate over easily.

I will probably break everything else in sight in the process.    Maybe
I need to keep the Products piece, and put in place NewProducts or
something like that.
 But I will have a very nice upgrade path for ZClass based applications.

And why do I keep getting flamed?    There is some world view that does
not like my world view.

Why are permissions so broken in Zope2.  They are way too complex.  Why
has no one released Zope 2 with cleaner permissions?  Because it breaks
everything?

Thank you to all the people who recommended that I use CMF or Python
Classes, or Zope 3.  None of those are quite what I want and need.
ZClasses is close to what I need, I just need to fix it.

Regards
Christopher Lozinski