[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope 2.11] KGS incomplete (Was: Stepping forward and going beta)

Hanno Schlichting plone at hannosch.info
Sat Dec 29 02:17:43 EST 2007

Andreas Jung wrote:
> --On 28. Dezember 2007 17:56:20 +0100 Hanno Schlichting
> <plone at hannosch.info> wrote:
>> Now all of those above packages aren't in the beta1 tarball. I'd
>> consider this a bug, right?
>
> I removed the externals so they are not in the b1 tarball. Possibly
> a bug from the deprecation point of view. On the other side it is hard
> enough now to keep track of the "right" version and dealing with the
> different versions. The KGS is a good start and I wrote a small script
> keeping the Zope 2 svn:externals in sync (mostly) with the KGS. However
> I need some additional metadata in order to know what deprecates when in
> order for having a half-way automated mechanism for updating the
> externals. I can not depend on the informal information coming from
> mailing lists and private mail becomes the huge amount of externals
> becomes unmanageable. The idea would be to extend the KGS or maintain a
> database/file that contains for every component its deprecation release
> (and perhaps other metadata needed).

Adding those deprecated but still functional packages to the KGS would
be one way, but seems to be a bit of work.

What about just adding a simple extra text file next to the
generate_externals script which includes the paths to the deprecated
packages. It's quite unlikely that any of them will see a new release
anymore and thus need any adjustments.

All that would happen is that the paths found in the extra file were
added to the externals. On the 2.11 branch of Zope it would contain the
deprecated packages in questions, whereas it would be empty on Zope trunk.

Hanno