[Zope-dev] Re: undeprecating zLOG

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Feb 2 09:09:53 EST 2007

Tres Seaver wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>> Andreas Jung wrote:
>>> 0, for keeping zLOG for the time being...
>>> -1, for undeprecating it. Using Python's logging module should remain
>>> the only recommended solution. I don't want to see any new code using
>>> zLOG.
>
> +1 for undeprecating it -- the noise it generates is usesless, and the
> value which its (attempted) removal has sucked out of our development
> process is far greater than any "hygeine" it was intended to create.
> At this point, the module is a thin compatibility wrapper for the
> logger, and no more.
>
> If *we* introduced lots of bugs into Zope trying to rip out zLOG from
> the core, why should we induce that same hell on people maintaining
> third-party products?

That is a good point. I should note that the deprecation of zLOG happened

a) without a proper proposal that *exactly* outlined how certain zLOG
calls should be spelled. Such proposals serve as reference for everyone
who has to update their code.

b) without moving the whole Zope 2 codebase to the new API. That in turn
ended up in a desaster because the different places zLOG was still used
were fixed up one by one by different people who made mistakes (mostly
because of point a)).

I think those points account for some of the problems we've had; there
have certainly been wilder refactorings that people could deal better
with because they were better documented.

Nevertheless, the proposed benefits (less code to maintain, etc.) don't
seem to balance the effort we've needed even just for Zope core at this
point. As said, I wouldn't mind if zLOG was added back and even
undeprecated, just as much as I wouldn't mind keeping the current situation.

Next Zope 3 training at Camp5: http://trizpug.org/boot-camp/camp5